bind8.2.3 updates

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 30 01:19:55 UTC 2001

Hannah O Day wrote:

> All,
>
> I need to upgrade all my servers to bind8.2.3.  I have just set up a couple
> of test servers and noticed that bind creates a zone.log file which is
> filled with recent updates.  My question is how often bind dump the content
> of the zone.log file to the actual zone file?

The official answer is: you don't need to know. The .log file is just there in
order to store Dynamic Updates in non-volatile storage. Anything in the .log
file is already reflected in the DNS responses that the nameserver gives out,
so it should be irrelevant when those changes get dumped out to the main zone
file.

> When the slaves do the zone
> transfer (especially the incremental transfer), would it look on the
> zone.log file or the actual zone file?

It doesn't "look" at either file. The data is stored in memory. The files are
just there for backup purposes.

- Kevin