nslookup from WinNT machine

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue May 29 20:34:16 UTC 2001

At 3:13 PM -0400 5/29/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>>>  Well, I don't maintain HINFO or WKS records, is that a sign of my
>>>  negligence or ignorance?
>>
>>  no, they are not needed to be a good 'netizen'. PTR records are.
>
>  Seems rather arbitrary to me.

	Not really.  RFC 1123 (STD 0003) effectively deprecates WKS in
sections 5.2.12 and 6.1.3.6.  RFC 2219 (BCP 0017) recommends a
particular set of naming conventions to largely replace WKS in
real-world practical use.

	However, I have not yet found any more formal deprecation of WKS
records.  If anyone knows of such, I would appreciate hearing about
it.

	HINFO records have been deprecated in practice for a while now,
but I'm having some difficulty finding out exactly when that started
happening, and if that fact has been written down anywhere
semi-official.

	I can tell you that if you look at the HINFO section of RFC 1700
(the latest Assigned Numbers RFC, also STD 0002), you will see that
the officially approved list of names is quite ancient (that's
because the standard hasn't been updated since 1994), and you are
referred to
<ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/machine-names> for the
latest version.

	I'm trying to download this file now, but I imagine that it
probably hasn't been touched since 1994 either, and that would mean
that the HINFO record has been effectively deprecated since then --
actually, the time stamp on this file is Monday, February 19, 1996,
but that's effectively the same thing.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */