Forward/reverse comparison

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Mon May 28 14:11:18 UTC 2001

>1) We have 2 different IP blocks assigned to us, and we do forward/reverse
>for them, split into many domains.  Is it BAD if we have more than one
>forward/reverse for a single ip? (ie: 123.123.123.123 resolves to
>nocserv1.tor.maxlink.com AND nocserv1.maxlink.net)

not bad, but not terribly useful to Internet applications that usually
don´t care about any PTR but the first one, so choose that one carefully.

>2) I want to go through ALL of our IP space and compare forwards to reverses
>... I'm going to write a script that uses the deadly NSLOOKUP to do a
>forward on an IP, grab the name, then do a reverse on it, and if they don't
>match, dump it to a file.  Does anyone have a better way to do it?  It's
>going to pound our server, so I'll do it overnight or something, but if
>anyone has any better ideas, let me know.

I used DNS Expert from MenAndMice.com to run 70+ tests on a domain,
including PTR lookups, and A to PTR corresondances.  Then dig for looking
at specific queries.

>3) are there any tools that you would reccomend for regular DNS maintenance?
>we use webmin for our provisioning dept to maintain it, which works well,
>but I'm looking for command-line and batch kinda utils to check for various
>things.t

again, Men And Mice have just released Quick DNS Pro that allows you to
manage/syncrhronize DNS servers remotely.  Sounds like like your DNS would
be more palatable if all the chefs in the kitchen used the same tool.

>4) we're experiencing a LOT of latency with our HP Openview box and our DNS.
>They are on the same subnet, in fact, they are in the same rack.  When using
>gethostbyname(), which HPOV uses, we see latency of upto 2hrs!

what´s wrong with that?  :)))

connectivity? routing pb? resolver config?

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways