The disgusting and useless nslookup

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun May 27 00:02:01 UTC 2001

Ooops.  Yeah, actually you're right.  'nslookup''s logic generally tries
to emulate resolver logic, but my experience has been that the vendor's
version at least uses "nsswitch" if the local resolver libraries do.

However,

>The assumption that nslookup will perform a
>name resolution even vaguely similar to that done by the
>resolver is not born out by my experience,

is way overstating the issue.  It is certainly more than vaguely
similar.

In any case, 'dig' remains useless.

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511