The disgusting and useless nslookup

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Sat May 26 19:56:02 UTC 2001

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Jim Reid wrote to Chip Old:

> Well if someone does not have the ability to understand the output of
> dig, they have no business using DNS tools or attempting to
> troubleshoot DNS problems.

I disagree.  My Help Desk staff use nslookup to determine whether a
problem may be DNS related, in which case they turn the caller over to me.
They don't need to be DNS experts to do that, nor do they need a tool as
sophisticated as dig.  nslookup has its faults, but it works well in that
scenario.

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204-5179 U.S.A.