The disgusting and useless nslookup

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Sat May 26 17:38:27 UTC 2001

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Thor Kottelin wrote:

> For e.g. phone support, nslookup is obviously nevertheless the only
> game in town, not only because of its prevalence, but also due to its
> simplicity. Even if you could remotely drop dig.exe into the luser's
> %PATH%, the output of dig would probably prove very confusing to
> someone who called you because he/she didn't understand DNS in the
> first place.

I agree.  While dig is is vastly superior diagnostic tool for the
experienced DNS administrator, most of its output is meaningless to most
people including the average Help Desk technician dealing with dial-up
customers.  A simpler tool like nslookup still has its place, and for that
reason I'm not happy to hear that it may be dropped from future BIND
distributions.

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204-5179 U.S.A.