nslookup from WinNT machine

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu May 24 18:49:45 UTC 2001

At 11:11 AM -0700 5/24/01, Ravi Nair wrote:

>  I am running the nslookup cmd(for
>  wispsjwebx01.inv6-sjwisp.net) on the DNS server
>  65.166.19.101 ,it returns me the IP address.But when i
>  run the same on a Winnt server(with DNS set to the
>  above DNS ip) it returns the following message.

	Don't use nslookup to obtain information from the DNS.  It does
all sorts of evil things, including trying to do a reverse lookup of
the IP address for the nameserver(s) it is using, and if that fails,
it dies.

	Try using "dig" instead.

	Of course, you'll probably want to get reverse DNS for this IP
address (and your others) fixed, so that you don't have these kinds
of problems.  Indeed, broken reverse DNS is probably still one of the
single biggest problems on the 'net these days.  Sigh....

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */