Known Bug question

Ian Watts ian at radix.net
Wed May 23 20:11:15 UTC 2001

I have a question about the following bug, documented in the file
"INSTALL" in the BIND 8.2.4 distribution.

<excerpt>
Known Dynamic DNS Bugs

        If the server is master for a zone and authoritative for a child
of that zone, then a dynamic update to the parent will destroy the
delegation to the child when the parent zone is written to disk.  This
problem will be fixed in a future release.  The only workaround is to not
be authoritative for child zones of a dynamic zone.
</excerpt>

I haven't observed this behavior myself, even when making dynamic updates
to a zone that has both dynamically updatable and non-updatable child
zones.  Is there something I missed or is it that it only applies under a
specific set circumstances?  Note that I never add NS records dynamically.
Also, this is a one-server arrangement without a slave server (though I
can't see that it would matter).

Can anyone clarify this?

-- Ian Watts