new.net article

Adam Lang aalang at rutgersinsurance.com
Tue May 22 18:12:48 UTC 2001

I agree, it still wouldn't be a perfect solution.

but the difference would be that right now, it is ICANN and nothing else.
With an overseeing regulatory body that doesn't have any cares about the
TLDs short of making sure they remain unique and allowing other companies to
offer different TLDs, it would promote competition.

Plus, with several different companies and hundreds of alternate TLDs
sitting nicely under the same roof, there is a significantly less chance of
BozoISP succeeding.  The only reason new.net is succeeding is because major
ISPs are backing it because of there issues with ICANN.  If you eliminate
ICANN and give other companies the oppurtunity to get in on the action,
people will tend to follow the rules and the ones that don't will be a lot
harder pressed to break them successfully.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com