Eureka -- Almost !!

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue May 22 14:29:03 UTC 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 07:51:37AM +0000, Desmond Coughlan wrote:
> Yes !!

;->

> May 22 09:05:03 dnsx /usr/local/sbin/named[175]: [ID 866145
> daemon.warning] dns_master_load: company.internal.com.db:12: ignoring
> out-of-zone data
> $TTL 3600
> company.internal.com.   SOA
> cork.company.us.com.		A	192.168.64.12

You can't have a record for a "us.com" domain inside the zone file for
your "company.internal.com" domain.  You must get that information from
the remote company's DNS.  Then again, nothing prevents you from giving
it a local name with the same IP address.

Of course, if you have named its IP address correctly, then this will
NEVER happen.  That is a "private internet" IP address.  It can never
be routed over the public Internet from their network to yours.

> Now, that's one question.  If I logon to the new server, and type :
>
> # nslookup smtp
> Server:  localhost
> Address:  127.0.0.1
>
> Name:    smtp.company.internal.com
> Address:  192.168.1.250
>
> It works !!
>
> However, if I try to obtain an address for a machine _not_ in the zone
> file, I get :
>
> # nslookup foehn
> Server:  localhost
> Address:  127.0.0.1
>
> Name:    foehn
> Served by:
> - J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

(1) Do you have a current and valid root server hints file?
(root.cache)

(2) Do you have a path out to the Internet?

(3) If you have a firewall, does it require that the source port for
DNS be 53?  If so, you will have to modify your "named.conf" file.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B