http://www.new.net/

Pete Peterson petersonp at genrad.com
Tue May 22 13:08:59 UTC 2001

> To: "Adam Lang" <aalang at rutgersinsurance.com>
> From: Paul Jacobs <paul at netpacq.com>
> Subject: Re: http://www.new.net/
> Cc: <bind-users at isc.org>
>

> Hmm... sell more websites to people with the names they want.....
> Drive more traffic to your system thus get your name out there more.
>
> Tell the government the internet will allways be free.... etc.. etc....
>
> At 01:01 PM 5/21/2001, Adam Lang wrote:
>
> >Ok, this falls into a conversation I was having with someone off list.
> >
> >For curiosity's sake, what are the reasons for supporting them?
> >
> >Adam Lang
> >Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

I'm missing a concept here somehow.  These guys invent their own top
level domain names and assign me "coles.law" for my food company or
"spam.med" for my junk E-mail business.

Fifty other people go to fifty other companies doing the same thing and each
gets these same highly desirable names assigned to themselves.

Now Joe Netuser comes along and uses an "xyz.coles.law" URI and it seems
like he has a 2% chance of hitting my site as opposed to one of the other
49, depending on what bogus root servers managed to pollute his view
of the Internet namespace in what order.

Is this useful?  Isn't uniqueness essential in Internet addresses?

What am I missing here?

        pete peterson
        GenRad, Inc.
        7 Technology Park Drive
        Westford, MA 01886-0033

        petersonp at genrad.com or rep at genrad.com
        +1-978-589-7478 (GenRad);
        +1-978-589-2088 (Closest FAX); +1-978-589-7007 (Main GenRad FAX)