MX records and CNAMEs

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Sun May 20 21:01:05 UTC 2001

Will Palmer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The MX records for my domain are currently as follows:
>
> domain.com IN MX 0 smtp.domain.com
> domain.com IN MX 10 relay.domain.com
>
> With the following CNAME records pointing the specified mail exchangers to
> the correct servers
>
> smtp.domain.com IN CNAME mail.domain.com
> relay.domain.com IN CNAME mail2.domain.com
>
> Is this ok

	No.

> Should smtp.domain.com and relay.domain.com have A records?

	Yes.

> If this could cause a
> problem would someone possibly tell me why.

	Because the RFC's state that the right side of an MX record should be a
host with an A record. Because of this, some mail servers don't go the
extra mile and resolve the CNAME, they just drop mail intended for your
host. Also, why make it any more complicated than it has to be?

Good luck,

Doug
--
    I need someone really bad. Are you really bad?