Arguments for/against use of forwarders{}?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sun May 20 13:37:08 UTC 2001

At 12:13 PM +0100 5/20/01, Jim Reid wrote:

>  If you forward, you depend on whatever you forward to be always
>  available to answer queries. If the target(s) of those forwarded
>  queries die or misbehave or get renumbered or have their configuration
>  changed, you lose. Lookups for non-local names will probably then time
>  out and fail. If you don't forward, you're only dependant on your
>  local name server which is under your own control. So the questions
>  to ask yourself are "Can I trust my ISP?" and "Am I as competent at
>  running a name server as my ISP?".

	Excellent description.  Mind if I use this?

	Also, don't forget about what happens when/if you should change
ISPs -- if you don't change your forwarding, you really lose.

	And, as you scale up, if the machine you're forwarding to can
only handle a few hundred queries per second, you may create
unnecessary congestion on that machine as you have more and more
forwarding clients that are pointing more and more unknown queries to
that machine, instead of scaling linearly as you add more nameservers
internally.

	Can anyone think of any other reasons?

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */