Problems with Reverse Lookup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat May 19 02:52:14 UTC 2001

Two things:

1) You overqualified the owner of the zone's NS record. Since it is the
123.168.192.in-addr.arpa zone, you must have at least one NS record for
123.168.192.in-addr.arpa. Instead, you have only an NS record for
5.123.168.192.in-addr.arpa. named interprets this as the delegation of a subzone,
which is probably not what you wanted. Actually, named should have rejected the
whole zone for the absence of an NS record for itself. Didn't you see something
like that in the logs?

2) You're missing a trailing period in the PTR record's owner name, so named is
interpreting it as a PTR with an owner name of (get ready for
it) 5.123.168.192.in-addr.arpa.123.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

- Kevin