How to Spec Hardware

ns at linuxplanet.nu ns at linuxplanet.nu
Thu May 17 18:03:46 UTC 2001

What are the calculations involved in trying to spec a Solaris box for an
Internet name server, assumming 1000 client users will initially be using it to
resolve Internet names.

How does one know the memory and CPU speed required.  Most people are of the
opinon that DNS bind does require a high spec, however I have seen bind die due
to demand, although the daemon didn't infact die, but it stoped resolving
names, I have had to restart the daemon a couple of time in the last 6 months,
I am convinced it was due to lack of resource on the server.

--
Get your firstname at lastname email for FREE at http://Nameplanet.com/?su