BIND 4.8.3 forwarders

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu May 17 17:55:52 UTC 2001

    Marc> Help!  I'm helping to support a legacy device which is
    Marc> running an early version of BIND which I presume is 4.8.3
    Marc> since version.c shows a string definition: char Version[] =
    Marc> "named 4.8.3 #S1\n";

Be afraid. VERY afraid. That stone age DNS code should be in a
museum. The best thing you can do is throw away that name server code
immediately. If the hardware/OS is too old to run an up to date
version of BIND, don't run a name server on it at all. Just set up
resolv.conf on the box so applications send their DNS queries to a
reliable and modern name server elsewhere on your net. This'll be
little different from what you're trying to do with a forwarding name
server and 4.8.3 anyway. The only difference is the applications on
this box would "forward" queries for themselves instead of via this
very old and buggy name server code.