Calculating queries per second (BIND 9)

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu May 17 11:04:58 UTC 2001

At 10:58 AM +0100 5/17/01, Chris Pile wrote:

>  I have been using the following to determine how many queries our
>  caching DNS server performs each second.  Just wondering if this
>  gives a good/accurate reading.  Also might be useful for anyone else.
>
>  for i in 1 2 3;do > /var/log/querylog;rndc querylog;sleep 1;rndc
>querylog;wc /var/log/querylog;sleep 5;done

	No, this doesn't.  To really get a good idea, you need to have
"querylog" turned on for an extended period of time (e.g., multiple
days or even multiple weeks) and look at the history of queries over
that period.

	You need to know what your peak query rates are (and you'll only
find that by having querylog running all the time and then searching
for the peaks), as well as your average querylog rates on a per
minute, per hour, and per day rate.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */