BIND error log

yoshi nomura nomura at kinya.com
Wed May 16 23:08:34 UTC 2001

Hi everyone,

My company has two DNS servers, one is external and the other one is internal.
I finished setting up those two servers and registered external DNS server to
the InterNIC a month ago.  That modification should be spread around by now.

However, when I check /var/log/messages in the internal DNS servers, there is an
error message saying

"nsi named (1370):sysquery:findns:error (NXDOMAIN) on ns1.mydomain.com"

nsi is our internal DNS server and ns1 is the external DNS server.

I looked up this ML's archive and found the same case in article 37D00B8A.
In his case, people pointed out there must be no A record in his zone file and
that is the reason why the server can't find it.

In my case, there IS an A record in the zone file, and of course I can find
the correct IP address for the server in www.networksolutions.com's WHOIS.
However, I can't find the IP address by nslookup.  WHY?

I don't know what is going on here.

Could anyone please give me some piece of advice?

Yoshi