Setting up Secondary Server

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed May 16 22:26:27 UTC 2001

    Des> The documentation that I've so far been able to find, says
    Des> that the named.boot file has been replaced with an
    Des> /etc/named.conf file.

Correct.

    Des> Could anyone point me in the direction of instructions as to
    Des> how to write this file (specifically, what is its syntax) ?

Read the BIND9 Administrator's Reference Manual (ARM) in doc/arm.

A simple guide to setting up a name server can be found at:
	http://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-192.html
This includes sample, annotated files which should steer you in the
right direction. It doesn't cover configuring a slave (secondary)
server but you should be able to work that out OK from the ARM.

    Des> I'm working with 'TCP/IP Network Administration', by Craig
    Des> Hunt, but that still lists the main configuration file as
    Des> being named.boot.

So don't read it any more. It's out of date: at least as far as BIND
configuration is concerned.

    Des> Do I need named.ca for a secondary server, for example ?

If that's the name of your hints file for the root zone, yes. Every
name server needs to know about the root.