in.named filling Solaris swap space (newbie)

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed May 16 15:17:45 UTC 2001

    Tom> Hi Thanks for all the feedback - 'strings in.named | grep -i
    Tom> bind' gives me Bind 8.1.2

This needs to be upgraded because it has security holes.

    Tom> Am trying to locate Bind 9.1.2 - ftp.isc.org refused
    Tom> connection and the ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com solaris 2.6
    Tom> binary is 25Mb and takes an age (do they restrict download
    Tom> bandwidth?). Any other ideas for finding a ready made binary
    Tom> (or pain free source)?

Pick it up from:
     ftp://ftp.nominum.com/pub/isc/bind9/9.1.2/bind-9.1.2.tar.gz

Be sure your FTP client isn't in passive mode as this server doesn't
allow passive transfers. Unfortunately most web browsers use FTP in
passive mode...

    Tom> I get the impression Bind 9 isn't just go-faster Bind 8 - is
    Tom> there anything I should be wary of? Would I (a DNS newbie) be
    Tom> better off with 8.2.3 (which I can find) or 8.2.4 (which I
    Tom> can't :-)? Also, if I 'make install' is it going to shit on
    Tom> anything that I should be aware of (ie other than in.named)?

BIND9 is much pickier than BIND8 is about errors in zone files and
named.conf. Use the named-checkzone and named-checkconf tools to check
them. Read the BIND9 migration notes in doc/misc too. There are a few
minor changes that could catch you unawares. IIRC, "make install" for
BIND9 on Solaris puts the programs in /usr/local, so it shouldn't nuke
any existing DNS files: try "make -n install" to see where it would
put things.

BIND9 is not "go-faster" BIND8. It's a complete rewrite. It uses
threading and supports all the latest DNS stuff: IPv6, EDNS0, binary
labels, A6 records, etc. In fact BIND9 is currently a bit slower than
BIND8 as has been explained here already.