Upgrading BIND 8 to 9

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed May 16 13:05:45 UTC 2001

> Hi, all
>    I hit a trouble when I upgrade BIND from 8 to 9.
> Everything looks fine except slave zone file transfer.
> My primary is BIND 8, slave is BIND 9.1.2. the error
> messages in the log are:
>
> transfer of 'xxx.com' from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#53:
> receiving responses: permission denied
> transfer of 'xxx.com' from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#53:
> receivin
> g responses: unexpected error
> refresh_callback: zone xxx.com/IN: failure for
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#53: timed out

	The nameserver didn't get a answer back to the refresh query in
	the allowed time.

> dumping master file: tmp-XXXX0eOgpd: open: permission
> denied

	The user id named is running as doesn't have permission to
	to create tmp-XXXX0eOgpd, fix the permissions on the directory.
	Note if this is a Linux box, named gives up root's ability to
	write to arbitary files.  It also looks like you havn't read
	the documentation that comes with 9.1.2 or you wouldn't have
	asked this.

	Also don't munge the error messages.  It makes it impossible
	for people on the list to check the state of servers and
	thereby give you more meaningful answers.

	Mark