Delegating class C's

Robert Gahl bgahl at bawcsa.org
Tue May 15 22:03:45 UTC 2001

At 02:04 PM 5/15/2001 -0400, Bob Vance wrote:

>You generally only use the CNAME technique when you are subdividing on a
>non-octet boundary.
>For a full "class C" (by which we really mean 3 full octets or a "/24"
>prefix length, because with CIDR, "Class" is meaningless), this is on an
>octet boundary and you simply delegate the entire class C:
>
>:: $ORIGIN  168.192.in-addr.arpa.
>
>0   IN NS   ns.0-subnet-domain.my.com.
>1   IN NS   ns.1-subnet-domain.my.com.
>2   IN NS   yoda.fornu.my.com.
>3   IN NS   ns.yahoo.com.
>
>or whatever :)

Okay, let me see if I have this straight. Originally, I've never had a
168.192.in-addr.arpa here. I just ran a 254.168.192.in-addr.arpa. I need to
add:

a) Create 192.168 in-addr:

; File /etc/dns/primary/zone.192.168.0
$TTL 86400
@       IN SOA  flame.fireclick.com.    root.flame.fireclick.com. (
                         2001051500                      ; serial
                         10800                           ; refresh
                         3600                            ; retry
                         604800                          ; expiry
                         86400 )                         ; default_ttl (1d)
;
         IN      NS      flame.fireclick.com.
         IN      NS      ns1.fireclick.net.
         IN      NS      ns2.fireclick.net.
;
; Corporate Domains
;
254     IN      NS      flame.fireclick.com.
17      IN      NS      flame.fireclick.com.
;
; Eng Domains
;
11      IN      NS      scorch.eng.fireclick.com.
;
; QA Domains
;
0       IN      NS      qans.qa.fireclick.com.

b) Create reference in named.conf:

         zone "24/0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
                 type master;
                 file "primary/zone.192.168.0";
                 allow-query {
                         any;
                 };
                 allow-transfer {
                         localhost;
                         fireclick-xfer;
                 };
         };

(this is in the "in" view for 9.1.2, which I'm upgrading to now).

Do I understand this correctly? Then, as we add more sub-domains, I simply
add the pointer in the 168.192.in-addr.arpa zone file?

One final question. What if I want the primary DNS (flame.fireclick.com) to
be a secondary for these sub-domains? What HAS been the problem is that
when I set up flame as the secondary for the ENG and QA domains, I get a
not-authoritative error message when the reverse trys to transfer.

Thanks for the assistance.

===
Bob Gahl Bicycle (Ryan Vanguard) Mobile ||     @
     ARPA/Internet: bgahl at bawcsa.org     ||  !_ \
"Sahn joong moe low ful how jee yah ching wong" - "When the
mountain has no tigers, the monkey will also declare himself
king." Chinese Proverb