CNAMES and OTHER data

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue May 15 21:25:15 UTC 2001

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 04:21:01PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> No, there is no workaround; only a fix. Replace that CNAME with an A record
> and/or whatever other records you want to be owned by "foo.com".
>
> Why do you find it "strange" for a zone-apex name to own an A record?
> Zone-apex names own MX records all of the time. How is owning an A record
> fundamentally different from that?

The strangeness may have been that he had a domain name on the RHS of
the A, rather than an IP address.  This puzzles me, since I am not
aware of any version of BIND that would have allowed this.  You must
have an IP address on the RHS of an A record.  Other than that, the A
record in that location was fine.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B