Where do you keep your db files?

Harold Pritchett harold at uga.edu
Sat May 12 13:18:09 UTC 2001

John Pickett wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm sitting here reading "DNS and BIND" and it suggests a certain naming
> scheme for my DNS files.  However, it gives no indication where an "ideal"
> spot might be to put these files.  Any opinions?  Cheers!

The file "named.conf" should go in the "/etc" directory.  This can either
be the real "/etc" directory, or one relative to the chroot directory used
to start named.  The other files go wherever the "named.conf" file says
they should be.  A common place is in "/var/named" (once again relative to
the real root or the chroot directory.)

In my named.conf I have:

options {
        directory "/var/named";