When there are no Root Name Servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 30 21:19:52 UTC 2001

Why don't you configure your boxes as slaves for the root zone, from an
internal master, which under normal circumstances is a mirror copy of
the Internet root zone, and in failure mode, is switched to a
"island" version of the root zone, which only knows about your internal
domains? With NOTIFY, it shouldn't take very long to propagate the
"island" root zone to all of your internal slaves.

By the way, if your Internet connectivity is completely down, isn't your
phone going to be ringing a lot *anyway*, regardless of how your DNS is
set up? Or do you have DNS and network support heavily partitioned from
each other?

- Kevin