rndc: connect: unexpected error

Ian Downard itd at ece.umr.edu
Wed Mar 28 17:19:51 UTC 2001

If I run rndc after I run named on my linux 2.2.17 box (with hostname
spike.bebop.edu) , I still get an error. Here's the error:

  [root at spike bin]# named -p 53
  [root at spike bin]# rndc -p 53 -s spike.bebop.edu reload
  rndc: connect: unexpected error

I get the same error if I replace spike.bebop.edu with it's corresponding
ip addr (10.1.1.3).

I realize that I am asking fairly newbie questions here, but to be quite
honest, I have made a considerable effort to find my answers in the bind9
documentation files and this listserves archives - but with little
success.  Too bad /usr/doc/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO isn't yet up to date with
bind9.  I found that documentation particularly helpful for installing
bind8.

Thanks again for any help.
-Ian