NS record question

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 28 14:13:30 UTC 2001

I feel a little bad that I help start this (along with Doug) this after
misinterpreting what Roy originally said.
After a quick read I got the impression (and I believe that Doug did,
too) that Roy was saying that everyone should start upgrading to BIND9
now.  After re-reading it was evident that he said "BIND8 development is
dead" and "if you want the new features" and then you should go to
BIND9 -- not so hard to understand, is it :).

I don't really know how I could have misread it so badly except being in
a hurry.

OTOH, I think the *we* were misunderstood slightly.
I'm not being a Luddite (and I don't believe that Doug was either).  I
was just pointing out that it was not such an easy decision to
*immediately* jump into BIND9 -- and again this was a reaction to the
misreading of Roy's original intent :|

Certainly the development on BIND9 is a wonderful thing and we all
appreciate it -- and we will be assimilated :)  We would make no other
choice.

But, there are two major issues facing many of us:

1) there is a learning curve on the processes and features.
I know that it seems ridiculous, but my time is very much precious
lately, and taking time to read the migration doco and figure out
changes for starting and stopping and 'rndc' and keys, yada yada, is not
something I want to do right now.  If I could just compile and go, like
with new BIND8 releases, I'd be glad to install and run it to test it.
But if I have to spend a lot of time just to figure out how to get
started, then I'm a little reluctant at this time.  For anyone whose
only responsibility is to support DNS, then time's probably not an
issue -- not so for me.

And given, the following

2) we have the impression that BIND9 is not stable given the frequency
of RC
releases.  Of course, the positive attitude is,
    "Great! Look at all the fixes were getting for BIND9.
     Poor, lil' BIND8 -- he just gets no attention any more --
     who knows what evil lurks ...
    "

it just makes sense for me, personally, to wait until BIND9 appears more
stable.

This is from the point of view of those on the "fence", as Bill said.
Although, really, it's not a matter of *if*, which would be the mindset
of a fence sitter, but it's a matter of *when*.  It's more like we're in
the jump line and saying, "No. Please, go right ahead -- after you :)"

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511