thoughts for a fake domain

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Wed Mar 28 15:12:34 UTC 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Maximo Ramos wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Our network doesn't have a registered domain. There is no static IP
> address also. We have been using the fake domain "oficina.org" but we
> just found out that domain really exists.
>
> Since we would like to do "The Right Way" ... what must be taken into
> account when chossing a fake domain? is it ok to have a fake domain
> like: "oficina"? .. so the hosts would be like:
>
> host1.oficina
> host2.oficina
>
> is that "The Right Way" to do it? We are going to implement soon DDNS
> as well as DHCP ... are there any issues concerning that?
>
> Thanks for your comments.

If you want to be sure that you choose an unused domain, try being your
own tld. A config example for bar could be:

zone "bar" {
        type master;
        file "db/bar";
	allow-query { local_net; }
};

zone "oficina.bar" {
	type master;
	file "db/oficina.bar";
	allow-query { local_net; }
};

The things you have to consider:

1) make sure you use a non existent tld
2) make sure only locals/internals can query this nameservers zone.

Don't ever choose an existent tld. Not only can your internal machines not
find the "real-world" domain, but what is much worse is, your machine
might leak info to the outside world.

Regards,

Roy Arends
Nominum