What is auth-nxdomain?

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Mar 28 00:29:02 UTC 2001

	AA is set when the answer is generated by a server for the zone.
	AA is clear when the answer is generated from a cache.

	Old nameservers would not accept a NXDOMAIN answer unless the AA
	bit was set which made it impossible to supply such servers with
	cached answers.  auth-nxdomain is used to tell the nameserver to
	lie when answering from the cache by setting the AA bit even when
	the answer is coming from the cache.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.