forwarding algorithm and timeouts

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Mar 26 23:55:42 UTC 2001

Bob Vance wrote:

> Thanks, Kevin.
>
> >is actually assuming the role of a "resolver",
> >basically a stub-resolver-with-caching.
>
> Well, surely it's not trying the list more than once?  -- like the stub
> resolver algorithm described in 'DNS and BIND' and in contradiction to
> the documentation where it says that the "forwarders" are tried each
> only once.

Different stub resolver implementations can have different timeout/retry
strategies, as evidenced by, e.g. the disparity between nslookup's and most
system resolvers' timetout/retry strategies.

> > don't recall offhand if there
> >are any specific parameters in the RFCs regarding resolver timeouts...
>
> So, still, I'm wondering what that timeout is and the rationale for its
> value, whatever it may be.

Sorry, I don't know the specifics. I'd have to dig through the code for
that, and you can probably do that as easily as I....

- Kevin