BIND 8.2.3 problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Mar 26 21:41:16 UTC 2001

Sounds like you might lack direct Internet connectivity, and therefore
have forwarding configured, but did not specify "forward only". If
that's the case, then whenever a query to the forwarders times out
(which can happen from time to time, even in the absence of a specific
failure), named will try to "prime" the root zone based on what is in
the hints file. This priming then fails for the same reason that the
original query timed out.

When using forwarding to deal with a network connectivity issue, use
"forward only". "Forward first", the default forwarding mode, is only
for when you have full connectivity but you're trying to improve
performance by forwarding queries to a central cache.

- Kevin