NS record question

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Mar 26 17:07:19 UTC 2001

I had noticed that creating a sub-zone on the same server without
delegation worked in the simple environment of my home network with only
one nameserver.  I later went ahead and did the delegation to itself
when I realized my omission, but it got me to wondering about the same
thing.

So I'm also trying to figure out exactly where it breaks down.
A secondary server should be authoritative and he knows how to get zone
transfers done, so he should be able to answer OK without NS records.

Another server somewhere trying to get sub-zone.foo.com would be
referred to the nameserver(s) for foo.com. -- but then he (or they)
would know that they are authoritative for sub-zone.foo.com and should
answer.

Right?

I guess without the NS records there would be a NOTIFY issue.
What other issues am I missing.

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511