FW: BIND limits and performance questions

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Mar 23 22:44:54 UTC 2001

At 5:09 PM -0500 3/23/01, Gary wrote:

>  For instance, say AOL does something that isn't exactly according to the
>  standards and if you strictly obey the standards and your customers can't
>  send or receive e-mail to their friends at AOL then it won't be long till
>  you don't have any customers.  So if you want to stay in business you have
>  to go according to what AOL, in this example, does.

	What AOL does now will no longer work at all with BINDv9.  IMO,
it's long past time.

	After the problem I previously mentioned (where I was personally
blamed for taking out all e-mail throughout the entire world, due to
the 19-hour downtime during AOL's "Black Wednesday" failure), I had
actually fixed this problem with mechanisms that were a little
strange, but perfectly legal according to the RFCs.

	However, after I left AOL, someone apparently decided to go back
to the old mechanism which violates the RFCs (it points MXes at CNAME
records).  Fortunately, a good friend of mine is now in charge of the
DNS at AOL, they're starting to use the BINDv9 tools to validate
their zones, and maybe I can convince him to fix this problem with a
more appropriate mechanism.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */

dig decss.friet.org|perl -ne's/\.//;print pack("H124",$1)if(/^x([^\.]*)/)'