BIND 9 syntax error near '<quoted string>'

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Mar 23 22:27:13 UTC 2001

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 01:47:49PM -0500, Przybycien, John wrote:

> I'm running BIND 9.1.1rc4 on a Sun with Solaris 8
> and receive the following in /var/adm/messages.
>
> /etc/name.conf:2:  syntax error near '<quoted string>'
> rndc: /etc/name.conf: failure
>
> Here's the first few lines of name.conf:
>
> options {
>            directory "/etc";
>            allow-transfer { none; };
>            auth-nxdomain yes;
>            };
>
> I've tried recreating the name.conf file, using spaces instead of tabs to
> indent,
> changing the order of the options, etc.  BTW, changing the order always
> returns
> an error with /etc/name.conf:2:  The following is returned if I switch lines
> 2 and 3:
>
> /etc/name.conf:2:  syntax error near '{'
> rndc: /etc/name.conf: failure
>
> Any ideas?

I know how difficult this is to do with Microsoft mail systems, but are
you copying the text in directly from a file, or are you typing it in?
The best idea I have is that there is something that you think is there
and typed in, that is not.  Or that you think isn't there, but is.

Like "option" instead of "options".  Or a missing ';'.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B