FW: BIND limits and performance questions

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Fri Mar 23 20:18:26 UTC 2001

>	In any event, suffice it to say that many programs simply flake
>out in the face of truncation, and you really need to make certain
>you do everything you possibly can to ensure that you never cause
>truncation in any form.

... and, of course, the more we pamper broken implementations, the
longer they stick around.

If, all of a sudden, some (or many) largish sites (let's say,
Hotmail, Yahoo, MSN, Juno, AOL, etc.) was to start advertising 25 MX
records, pissing all over the 512-byte issue, and say "Hey, its a big
record, if you're not dealing with it properly that's your own
business".... how long would sites continue to run old/broken code
when they couldn't talk to -- or possibly even SEE -- large portions
of the net?

If more people were willing to say "you don't obey the spec, you
don't get to talk to me", those breaking the specs wouldn't break
them for all that long.