BIND 8.2.3 verus 9.x.x ?? in production

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Mar 22 10:09:51 UTC 2001

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 04:06:23AM +0000, Ray wrote:

> In light of the numbers people have reported here, is there any speculation
> on why outsourcing would improve performance? We're running Redhat Linux 6.2
> and BIND v8.2.3 on Pentium 75's with 64 MB of RAM and 408 MB hard drives (no
> graphical interface and all the rest of the unneeded stuff uninstalled), and
> it appears to be handling the load of a multinational corporation just fine.
> Admittedly the zones are very small. What kind of hits-per-second limit
> would you folks guess we should be having? We're running about 2 per second
> now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray
>
> > Query rates of 1000+ per second are well up towards root name server
> > levels. They shouldn't be seen in regular, well-behaved environments -
> > even at huge ISPs.

I can think of a few things that some companies don't have that
outsourcing might get them, but speed/performance isn't always going to
be one of them -- just sitting here with a middle-of-the-night thought
or two about it:

- Geographical distribution of the authoritative servers.  (Different
  power grids, data centers, and away from each other in case of natural
  disasters, etc.)
- Network distribution of the authoritative servers.  (Put 'em as close
  to the big backbones and put them on different ones.)
- Professional maintenance from someone who might consider hiring and/or
  contracting to the DNS "big gun" folks who hang around here sometimes
  in a serious crisis for ideas/help.
- Metrics -- if they are having trouble figuring out BIND, an
  outsourcing company is probably going to have gurus on staff who've
  dealt with BIND logging before and can create useful information from
  it for monthly reports and such.

And the biggest reason they probably outsourced it?

- Now it's someone else's problem and they just lay out cash.  :-)

Don't know.  Those sound reasonable?

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>