forwarding queries to another server (huh?)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Mar 22 02:12:55 UTC 2001

peter at technical-reality.com wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2001 12:02:15 -0800, Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>
> wrote:
>

> >peter at technical-reality.com wrote:
> >
> >> No disrespect but how 'bout some help on my original post?
> >
> >I answered your original post on Friday. Didn't you see my response? Here it is
> >again...peter at technical-reality.com wrote:
>
> No, I didn't receive it.
>
> >> I have an internal domain, say foo.bar.com.  I have a name server
> >> behaving properly for it.  Call it nsfoo.
> >>
> >> Now I have set up a test environment domain, say test.bar.com.  Note
> >> that it's not a subdomain of the first.
> >>
> >> I want a name server (nstest) on test.bar.com to handle its own
> >> queries.  That is, when nsfoo receives those queries it makes nstest
> >> deal with them.
> >>
> >> In named.conf on nsfoo I have the following entry:
> >>
> >> zone "test.bar.com" {
> >>         type forward;
> >>         forward only;
> >>         forwarders{
> >>                 172.xxx.xxx.xxx;
> >>         };
> >> };
> >>
> >> But alas it doesn't work.
> >
> >It should, assuming you have the necessary network connectivity between
> >nsfoo and nstest, and that nstest allows nsfoo to query it.
>
> I'll re-examine the connectivity.  Now what do you mean by the last
> comment?  How do you "allow" nstest to query nsfoo?

Well, queries are allowed by default. But if nstest has an "allow-query" clause or
a "blackhole" option, maybe it's refusing/dropping the queries from nsfoo.

> >Be aware,
> >however, that if nsfoo has the answer cached, then it doesn't *need* to
> >forward the query to nstest. So not every query for a "test.bar.com"
> >name will necessarily generate a forwarded query -- only the uncached
> >ones will.
> >

> I should still receive an answer via nslookup at any rate right?

Assuming you point nslookup explicitly at the server, sure. When you do that you're
basically issuing queries just like your nameserver would when forwarding...

- Kevin