nsupdate for soa / mx records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Mar 22 00:52:25 UTC 2001

The Dynamic Update RFC (2136) explicitly forbids the creation or deletion
of SOA records. This was purposely done to sabotage zone-creation and
-delegation through Dynamic Update. For what reason, I still haven't been
able to clearly ascertain...

MX records shouldn't be a problem, though. I use nsupdate occasionally to
update MX records. Are you absolutely sure that the MX record changes
aren't "taking"?

It should be safe to manipulate SOA records with named turned off. For
adding or deleting NS records (e.g. delegation NS records, when creating
or deleting a zone), it might not be so safe, because it might interfere
with the journalling mechanism. In BIND 9's nsupdate, you can specify what
zone to make the update in, so (finally!) it becomes possible to delegate
a subzone via Dynamic Update; the BIND 8 nsupdate didn't have any such
option, so it would try to add the delegation records to the child zone
(duh!).

- Kevin