forwarding queries to another server (huh?)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 20 19:58:11 UTC 2001

Okay then, change that test.foo.bar.org CNAME to an A record, and get rid of
the "out of zone data" mycomp.foo.bar.org. That should at least allow the
zonefile to load properly as test.foo.bar.org. Note that if mycomp.foo.bar.org
doesn't already exist, and you cannot add it to the foo.bar.org zone, then your
only other option is to define mycomp.foo.bar.org as a zone by itself, and then
explicitly define that zone (as master/slave/stub) on all nameservers which
need to know about it. Ditto for the test.foo.bar.org zone, if you can't
delegate it from the foo.bar.org zone -- you'll have to define it explicitly on
all of the nameservers which need to know about it.

Maybe it would be easier just to define a "shadow" foo.bar.org zone on all of
those nameservers, and not bother delegating test.foo.bar.org at all. The only
possible drawback is that you might need to keep this "shadow" foo.bar.org zone
in synch with the real foo.bar.org for the duration of the test.

- Kevin