BIND 9 and root.zone

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Mar 20 09:40:18 UTC 2001

>>>>> "peter" == peter deVries <pdevries at ihug.com.au> writes:

    peter> I have this problem with BIND 9 that dozen't exsist in BIND 8
    peter> this is the error from the /var/log/syslog

    peter> Mar 20 14:19:01 tegan /usr/sbin/named[255]: dns_master_load: root.zone:7: no TTL specified
    peter> Mar 20 14:19:01 tegan /usr/sbin/named[255]: zone configuration for '.'  failed: no ttl
    peter> Mar 20 14:19:01 tegan /usr/sbin/named[255]: loading configuration: failure
    peter> Mar 20 14:19:01 tegan /usr/sbin/named[255]: exiting (due to fatal error)

    peter> Can some please explain what's happening ( and yes I've
    peter> checked to see there is a TTL in the root.zone) And this is
    peter> (supposed to be )the offending section of root.zone.

You've not checked properly. BIND9 isn't lying. If it says there's no
TTL, then the TTL is missing: end of story. Did you read the
documentation? You might find that reading the migration notes in
doc/misc/migration or checking the list archives would have solved
your mistake. The question you asked is asked and answered at least
once a week.

BTW, why are you configuring your name server as authoritative for the
root zone? What's the point?