Hiding NS Records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Mar 17 01:58:58 UTC 2001

Smith, William E. (Bill), Jr. wrote:

> We are running a secondary name server(for testing purposes) whose NS record
> we want to hide from the outside world.  It's behind a firewall so queries
> against it won't get a response; however, we would just like to have the NS
> record for that server removed altogether.  Is it possible to do this? If
> so, what is the syntax. I've done some searching and haven't come across
> anything...obvious at least to address this.

Well, it depends on exactly what you're trying to test with this firewalled
slave. If you want to test how a *delegated* slave behaves, then obviously
having it be a "stealth" (undelegated) slave is going to spoil your test (you
could of course delegate it from a *copy* of the parent zone, e.g. in an
internal-root setup, but even that could spoil your test).

If your testing doesn't require "delegated slave" status, just remove the
NS record.

- Kevin