Multiple RRs records of singleton type?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Mar 17 01:34:14 UTC 2001

lawrence.a.kravets at us.arthurandersen.com wrote:

> I just went through this error upon upgrading from bind 4.9.3 to bind 9.1.0
>
> Within that particular zone you have a possible cname error.  It may look
> something like this:
>
> ftp       IN   CNAME     www.domain.com.
> ftp       IN   CNAME     www1.domain.com.
>
> What used to "round robin" now come up as an error.

That configuration is *illegal*. Later versions of BIND finally enforce
RFC restrictions that the software should have been enforcing all along. Vixie has
already apologized for BIND's previous laxness in this department, but now it's
time for everyone to get with the program and fix their illegal data. As they say,
"ignorance of the law is no excuse", and the "multiple CNAMEs" prohibition has been
an open-and-shut matter for _many_ years now...

- Kevin