icmp problem

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Mar 14 20:05:40 UTC 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 02:47:35PM -0500, Tom Nichols wrote:
> Excuse me?  Are you a newbie to the net?  Check the logs in your routers. Also, check
> www.sans.org

Yes.  I have only been using it for 27 years plus or minus a few.

> Even if a spammer isn't doing this today, why leave it open to attack?

So your solution is to have the service not work per the RFCs.  Well,
that is one solution.  Another is to use the built-in network
protections to restrict access.  Or have firewalls or screening routers
or other such devices.

Most spammers, OBTW, would have no idea how to do a DOS attack, much
less a DDOS attack.  Spammers "just" send e-mail.  Or so I have heard
since I started using the 'Net.

I admit that, for some reason [probably because I assumed the
peripheral defense], I was thinking along the lines of an internally
self-generated UDP storm rather than an externally instigated one.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B