Changed IP Address now no nslookup

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Mar 9 03:39:23 UTC 2001

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 02:04:42PM +1100, Scott Stavretis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just changed IP addresses on a slackware linux box running bind 8x
> The change over went well except, now I cannot use nslookup  I have the
> new IP address in resolv.conf
>
> Whenever I nslookup or nslookup - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (my ip address  I get)
> *** Can't find server name for address x.x.x.x: Non-existent host/domain
> *** Default servers are not available
>
> ping and host seem to resolve domains okay.

FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ

This is an 'nslookup' problem, not a DNS problem - except that you
obviously haven't bothered to create a reverse lookup zone for your new
IP address.

For its own reasons, 'nslookup' will decide that a machine that can't
name itself isn't much of a name server, and will refuse to work with
it - when all other programs [as you note] happily do so.

Solutions - upgrade to a current version of BIND that uses a snooty but
damaged version of 'nslookup' that doesn't have this behaviour, or use
'dig' or 'host'.

FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ

> Also apache seems not to be working but I think this is somehow related to
> the DNS issue.

I doubt it.  That opinion has as much basis as you gave us, which is
very little.  ;->

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B