FQDNs in masters-list (was: Help: Secondary for...)

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Thu Mar 8 22:18:19 UTC 2001

%
%
% At 3:01 PM -0500 3/8/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:
%
% >  It solves the problem of slave auto-configuration if everything (other
% >  than the address of the master server in the "roving master" scenario
% >  we've been discussing) can be "templated", i.e. those values are constant
% >  for all slave zones, or can be derived using some local conventions.
% >  This is appropriate for many situations where the slaves are *pure*
% >  slaves, i.e. no master zones except perhaps for loopback, with no
% >  server- or location-specific configuration.
%
% 	Can you give me an example of this sort of thing?  All the
% examples I can think of are situations where some bozo has an ADSL
% account with an IP address dynamically assigned to him, he wants to
% run his own domain out of his own home, but obviously the IP address
% for his domain, his web server(s), and his nameserver(s) is
% constantly changing.
%
% --
% Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles at skynet.be>

	I can think of two examples.  Both fit under the general
	rubric of "Ad-Hoc" networks, where the nodes and the supporting
	infrastructure are untethered and mobile.  Ah, back in the day...
	when I espoused renumbering the entire Internet every 20 minutes. :)

--
--bill