DNS probes and Network Ice

Duncan Hill dhill at cricalix.net
Thu Mar 8 18:52:33 UTC 2001

Not sure if this is really appropriate for this list, but it is being
caused (apparently) by our DNS server.

Occasionally, on DNS lookups, Network Ice will flash at me and report
that the DNS server has performed some kind of probe against my
machine.  I've been able to get it to do it with Bind 8.2.2 (no longer
running, the machine got hacked because someone left a firewall
conduit to the machine and it had rpc running) and with the DNS server
that ships with Win2K.

Is there anything in the DNS protocol that would cause this to happen?

--

Sapere aude
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.