host resolving to an IP not in the zone

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Thu Mar 8 17:09:50 UTC 2001

josephc wrote:

> Ok, this is just weird:
>
> > nslookup -q=a health.healthcommunities.com dns.etards.net
> Server:  h0000c5785fb6.ne.mediaone.net
> Address:  66.31.249.69
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    health.healthcommunities.com
> Address:  192.168.1.10

[SNIP]

> The zone for healthcommunities.com contains absolutly no reference to
> 192.168.1.10. However, that IP is the internal address for
> health.healthcommunities.com in its home network. But again, that IP
> address is not stated anywhere in any DNS records and it never, ever has
> :)
>
> So does anyone know where it could be coming from? It does not appear to
> be cached info, and so far it only happens to queries against that DNS
> server, but I am worried that it could be happening elsewhere and I just
> don't know it.

[snip]
Not sure where the pvt net address is comming from, but here is some
info.

Doc-2.1.4: doc -v -p etards.net.
Doc-2.1.4: Starting test of etards.net.   parent is net.
Doc-2.1.4: Test date - Thu Mar  8 12:04:07 EST 2001
Note: Skipping parent domain testing
Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for etards.net. @a.gtld-servers.net.
(non-AUTH)
Using NSlist from parent domain server a.gtld-servers.net.
NS list summary for etards.net. from parent (net.) servers
  == dns.etards.net. health.healthcommunities.com.
soa @dns.etards.net. for etards.net. serial: 2001030604
soa @health.healthcommunities.com. for etards.net. serial:
ERROR: no SOA record for etards.net. from health.healthcommunities.com.
ERROR: NS list from etards.net. authoritative servers does not
  === match NS list from parent (net.) servers
NS list summary for etards.net. from authoritative servers
  == dns.etards.net.
Checking 1 potential addresses for hosts at etards.net.
  == 66.31.249.69
in-addr PTR record found for 66.31.249.69
Done testing etards.net.  Thu Mar  8 12:04:13 EST 2001

Regards,
Jim