What kind of hardware?

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Thu Mar 8 15:40:57 UTC 2001

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 02:24:07PM +0100, Eivind Olsen wrote:
> Anyone have any good suggestions as to what is most important when
> setting up a caching-only DNS using BIND 8 or 9?

RAM.

> few mailservers etc. Should I focus on much memory? I suppose I won't
> need extreme amounts of diskspace?

That depends on your logging requirements. A busy nameserver can be made
output significant amounts of logs. However, for the common case large
amounts of diskspace isn't needed.

> A fast processor will always help, right?

Non-DNSSEC DNS isn't very CPU intensive. I know of a TLD master server
which is a Intel P200 and the CPU has almost nothing to do.

> Also - are there any things I should keep in mind when setting up a
> chroot'ed BIND running as non-root user under Solaris 2.6 or newer? Any
> tweaks etc. that I should do right away?

Consider BIND 9? Chrooting BIND9 is considerably easier.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's