UNIX BIND Server & W2000 DNS Server

Christian Krackowizer ckrackowiz at std.schuler-ag.com
Thu Mar 8 14:24:34 UTC 2001

At 09:13 01.03.2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Christian Krackowizer <ckrackowiz at std.schuler-ag.com> added to my posting:
>
> >Add: if you have 3 AD-DNS servers, you have 3 primary. You can see this
> >when checking the SOA on each server.
> >The clients direct their update to the list of their servers in the order
> >you've specified it. So if the first is down, it will be the second etc ...
> >but only one server will be used. This is the same as for clients on Unix -
> >they always take the first living and stay happy with him forever ...
>
>If I have three AD-DNS servers, what should be in the AD-integrated
>zone SOA for the name of the master DNS?  Do I pick one of the three
>servers and denote it the master, and put its name in the SOA?
>Or do I treat each of the three as co-equals, and have each one
>refer to itself as the master?  If I do the latter, then I have three
>copies of the zone with the same information (ignoring my open
>trouble ticket with MS concerning serial number differences) but each
>with a different master listed in the SOA.  As the SOA is part of the
>zone, have I now violated any DNS RFC by having more than one copy
>of the zone with the same serial number but different master names?
>My initial feeling is that if the SOA's do not match, then the zones
>are not the same.

Well, we started with one server (DC). This server is master. Changed the
zone from standalone to AD integrated.
Installed second machine, which results in a running, but empty DNS-server.
We promoted this server also to DC. After haveing replicated AD, the next
reboot shows a full flying DNS-server with same zones (serial quirks) but
having his name as master. We tried to change the SOA record back to
server1 - without look.
Afais, we have two masters, which makes 'sense' as both can accept dynamic
updates. I one DC fails, the other can still accept.

with best regards

Christian Krackowizer
schuler technodat GmbH
Jakob-Haringer-Strasse 6