DNS probs

Jeremy Gardner jeremy at quetico.net
Wed Mar 7 06:43:33 UTC 2001

Thanks for pointing out that sleepy.giant.net had snuck in as
authoritative.  It wasn't something I was intending to do, but apparently
an old record on one of Avalon's dns servers still had the reference to
sleepy.

I've removed all references to sleepy as an authoritative nameserver for
my domain, and even removed dns3 and dns4 as authoritative so that it
matches up with root nameservers.

One problem is that I can't seem to get to sleepy.giant.net to update the
DNS.  Since its no longer listed as an authoritative DNS server for the
domain, will this be a problem?  It seems like it so far...

When I run dig on various different name servers, it will show a TTL value
of 2D (something inherited from the incorrect DNS entry on sleepy).  I'm
picking nameservers that probably didn't have my domain in their cache,
yet when I go to query them it still shows up with the wrong IP address
for pierna.quetico.net, and a TTL of 2D.  Sometimes, when I check back,
that 2D has started counting down, and on other servers it will remain 2D.

I'm picking nameservers for domains like nbc.com (ns2.ge.com) and
sprint.com (reston-ns1.telemail.net).  I'll query them, and the TTL will
have then just started counting down from 2D.  If its just caching the
entry, how is it pickup up info that seems to only be coming from sleepy,
and not from dns1.avalon.net and dns2 (the only authoritative servers for
the domain).

What am I missing here?

Thanks!
Jeremy